Monday, September 20, 2010

at times when I didn't know anything about living a life...

Times when the only thing I cared about was spending the noons jumping ropes, riding bikes, and playing tags. Times when I naturally excelled at school, without being forced. Times when I was so sad when my mum's not at home while it was raining. Times when I watched Looney Toons-though I think it's a classic, I still watch it till today. Times when I wore Daffy Duck t-shirt everywhere. They were my old times, my happy times, yet when I look back, I missed out on wonderful things a lot.
The times were the 90s. It's ironic that I was alive that time, but knew nothing about wonderful things that were happening. It's not the same thing when I look and think about the 60s I could just say I wish I was alive. But in the 90s I was alive, I was breathing the 90s air, yet I didn't feel any of the vibes. I feel like I could blame the childhood. I mean, why was I a kid back then?

I didn't know much about them, but I vividly remember when I was in the second grade I drew their smiley face icon on my aluminium pencil case and I knew that I was drawing their icon, not just some random smiley stoned face doodle. I guess I should get some acknowledgement for that, not too many Indonesian second graders paid attention to these stuffs, all they knew was tamagotchi, which I didn't have that time. Oh, and I knew about that infamous MTV Unplugged performance of theirs-thanks to MTV-and that floating baby cassette cover which belonged to my uncle.
But not until in the year 2000s that I paid attention to them, that I started listening and wanting to know more than just their faces, names, and songs. It was waaayyy too late, but I guess that's what makes them legends, ten years after, and still new youngsters finding out about and obsessing over them. They're super! And due to my lateness, or maybe thanks to my lateness, I didn't have to buy all those amazing CDs, I could just get the With the Lights Out box set. And it blew me off! Especially their home-recorded About a Girl.


I personally love this photograph.


It's taken from here.


Kurt had his "whatever" style. I tried to make those kinds of pants, and it was a total disappointment. And for some reason, my mother threw out my worn out Chuck Taylor. And believe me, when I'm ready, I'll have that red hair. Source.

Then there was a Beck, there is still a Beck, a loser who makes music. Of course, I knew him by "Loser." Though it was in his third album, but that song is the one that still lingers especially after the Glee kids sang the song in one of their episodes, it's like, back!




But then after this independent spirited guys, there had got to be the girls charmers. The ones that knew nothing but love, dancing, and singing songs that other people made for them, stepped in Backstreet Boys. Following the footsteps of New Kids on The Block, they learned one thing, unbuttoned shirts. Seriously guys? Pfff.. But.. that plan worked for me, I fell for their "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" video. With the rain, puppy faces begging for mercy from the girls that kept breaking their hearts, the unbuttoned shirts. I remember asking my dad to get me the cassette (since there was no CD back then here) and he didn't get me one. I guess he was afraid that I would turn into one of those girls that cry for a boy that barely knew them. That was one safe choice, dada!
But a year later, he loosened up a bit. He got me the "Backstreet Back" album. It was less "hostile" than the first one. Not many of those sad, whiny songs. Though "As Long As You Love Me" was bizarrely unusual. The video was shot in the hangar with that spread wings dance and I remember I watched one VH1 program one day, it was about some weird songs, and this song was one of them. At first, I thought why? Then this girl (I believed she was a comedian) said that "I don't care of you were an alien, a cold-blooded serial killer, a stalker, or a terrorist, as long as you love me, that's alright with me!" in reference to the phrase "I don't care who you are, where you're from, what you did, as long as you love me." And I laughed my ass off! I got her point! Haahaa.




Even though I loved them so much back then, I chose not to get involved so much-not that I get more mature or anything, but there was a Westlife!-Millennium was the last album I bought.

It's very obvious that I'm a true Backstreet Boys lover since I write more about them than the others. But, what the hell!

As I'm writing this, They Hung Him On a Cross is on repeat. Though when I start writing about the Backstreet Boys, I immediately go through youtube and search for that hangar video.

No comments:

Post a Comment